I had a major craving for Indian food on Saturday so the husband went and picked up three vegetable curries, tandoori fish and naan from our favourite Indian-Pakistani place. So good.
I posted about book covers that featured the backs of women!
The Grand Tour
The Night Manager
This is the story of a happy marriage – Ann Patchett
Well I was supposed to drink this milkshake but someone is finishing it
The green card application is nothing like the intake questionnaire for undocumented minors. When you apply for a green card you have to answer things like “Do you intend to practice polygamy?” and “Are you a member of the Communist Party?” and “Have you ever knowingly committed a crime of moral turpitude?” And although nothing can or should be taken lightly when you are in the fragile situation of asking for permission to live in a country that is not your own, there is something almost innocent in the green card application’s preoccupations with and visions of the future and its possible threats: polyamorous debauchery, communism, weak morals!
Also the Man Booker International Prize longlist came out. I have not read any of these and haven’t heard of many of them before this! Intrigued.
- Mathias Enard (France), Charlotte Mandell, Compass (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Wioletta Greg (Poland), Eliza Marciniak, Swallowing Mercury (Portobello Books)
- David Grossman (Israel), Jessica Cohen, A Horse Walks Into a Bar (Jonathan Cape)
- Stefan Hertmans (Belgium), David McKay, War and Turpentine (Harvill Secker)
- Roy Jacobsen (Norway), Don Bartlett, Don Shaw, The Unseen (Maclehose)
- Ismail Kadare (Albania), John Hodgson, The Traitor’s Niche (Harvill Secker)
- Jon Kalman Stefansson (Iceland), Phil Roughton, Fish Have No Feet (Maclehose)
- Yan Lianke (China), Carlos Rojas, The Explosion Chronicles (Chatto & Windus)
- Alain Mabanckou (France), Helen Stevenson, Black Moses (Serpent’s Tail)
- Clemens Meyer (Germany), Katy Derbyshire, Bricks and Mortar (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- Dorthe Nors (Denmark), Misha Hoekstra, Mirror, Shoulder, Signal (Pushkin Press)
- Amos Oz (Israel), Nicholas de Lange, Judas (Chatto & Windus)
- Samanta Schweblin (Argentina), Megan McDowell, Fever Dream (Oneworld)