Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book
- “The next Gone Girl” or wait, something worse would be a book described as “the next Fifty Shades“
- Gendered book covers (especially see the two different covers of the same Alice Munro book above). I mean, I would still read the book, but ugh I do not need the “feminine” covers
- Stereotyped POCs – like the nerdy Asian, the blonde cheerleader, the rat villain (see Margaret Atwood’s Angel Catbird series – actually wait, don’t go see that series, it’s just bad, take my word for it)
- Written by James Patterson
- Too experimental (eg Jesse Ball’s Silence Once Begun)
- Covers that are too “Oriental”. I do kind of like chinoiserie but when books that are written by or about Asians/Asia are given the ‘Oriental’ treatment, it really puts me off. This also includes the use of fans on covers, dragons, and cheongsams (see above)
What turns you off books?